THE GHEENS FOUNDATION
Copyright © The Gheens Foundation. All Rights Reserved
The Foundation will distribute approximately 5% of the average fair value of its non-charitable use assets annually to qualifying organizations located in the Metro Louisville area: Bullitt, Henry, Jefferson, Oldham, Shelby, Spencer and Trimble counties (KY); Clark, Floyd, Harrison and Washington counties (IN); and to the Bayou Community Foundation for qualifying organizations in Lafourche and Terrebonne parishes in Louisiana.
First-time applicants must have received more than $50,000 in gross unrestricted revenue per its most recent Form 990 or an average of $50,000 for its past three consecutive years.
The minimum grant application request amount is $10,000.
Organizations may apply once every 12 months, provided any previously approved grants have been fully paid.
Qualifying organizations include IRC 501( c )(3) organizations in good standing with the IRS and the Commonwealth of Kentucky, and certain Louisville Metro government-related entities without a separate 501( c )(3) status, such as Jefferson County Public Schools.
- Foundations, except those that solely support a single qualifying organization, such as a university.
- “Churches” (congregations, conventions, associations)
- Hospitals, primary care facilities or medical research
- Nursing homes, convalescent homes, senior living and retirement communities, long-term care facilities and other such geriatric organizations
- Private kindergartens, nursery schools, preschools, early admissions schools or high schools
- Private elementary or middle schools, except those whose sole mission is to (a) students with learning differences or (b) schools with 100% of the student body qualifying for free/reduced lunch.
- Student financial aid, including scholarships, grants, loans or work study funds
- Political entities
- Fund-raising entities / Sponsorships